Kitware is actively seeking a talented individual to act as a Technical Leader and lead the creation, development, and improvement of leading-edge medical computing software solutions for commercial and government customers and research collaborators. We are looking for a Technical Leader to initiate and grow a new technical focus area within the Medical Computing team.
Kitware's Medical Computing team solves complex healthcare challenges through customized software solutions. The team provides research, development, and technology integration services to research centers, universities, and companies in the medical and biomedical sectors. By joining our team you will participate in a dynamic multidisciplinary work environment with exceptionally talented computer scientists, software engineers, mechanical engineers, and biomedical engineers.
About the Projects:
We build powerful software solutions using our well-established open source platforms including VTK, ITK, 3D Slicer, Pulse, iMSTK, CMake, and ParaView. These platforms are mature, supported, documented, and thoroughly tested software systems that are in use by tens of thousands of developers and end-users worldwide. Our commercial projects involve generating solutions for medical device companies from ultrasound and preclinical imaging companies, to surgery device companies. Our research projects involve collaborations with top research institutions, including Harvard Medical School, MIT, Cleveland Clinic, Duke University, and others, and build on our open source platforms.
In This Position You Will:
- Initiate and grow a new research initiative at Kitware within the Medical Computing team.
- Lead a team of computer scientists, engineers, and developers in medical research applications.
- Initiate, build, and maintain business and research relationships with commercial customers and external academic, industry, and government research collaborators.
- Develop and write proposals to government funding agencies such as NIH, DOD, and NSF.
- Interface with commercial customers, prospects, and research partners.
- Ph.D. in computer science, biomedical engineering, or a related field that has an emphasis on a medical research application with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience.
- At least 2 years of project leadership experience.
- Proven track record of securing external funding from agencies such as the NIH, NSF, DoD, DARPA, etc.
- Concrete experience implementing biomedical solutions, such as computational modeling and digital twins, medical robotics, environmental health science, wearables, epidemiology, artificial intelligence, or data science.
- Demonstrated publication history in one of the areas above.
- Proven project management and leadership track record through proposal ideation, design, development, and delivery.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies and code versioning tools, such as Git, continuous integration, and software testing.
Kitware is a research and development software solutions provider with a mission to advance science, make a positive impact, and share our results all within a collaborative, employee-focused work environment that is friendly, fair, and flexible. Our work is improving healthcare outcomes, increasing national security, and advancing our national computing infrastructure. Our customers and collaborators include top universities from around the world, government organizations, national research labs, medical device manufacturers, car manufacturers, financial institutions, and many others.
Kitware is proud to be 100% employee-owned, and Great Place to Work-Certified™.
Our team members enjoy a small company environment, flexibility in work assignments, and high levels of independence and responsibility. Besides a great work environment, our comprehensive benefits package includes a competitive compensation plan, tuition reimbursement program, flexible working hours, six weeks paid time off, 401(k), health insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, bonus plan, and free coffee, drinks, and snacks.
Kitware actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, protected veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Any unsolicited resume sent to Kitware, including to Kitware's mailing addresses, fax machines or email addresses, whether directly to Kitware employees or to Kitware's applicant tracking system, will be considered Kitware property. Kitware will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, and will consider any candidate submitted by a recruitment agency without a fully executed contract with Kitware to have been referred free of any charges or fees.
If you need assistance with applying or interviewing for a role due to a disability or special need, please reach out directly to our HR team at [email protected]
at any time during the hiring process.