Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
The Senior OBD PVE Engineer is part of a cross-functional team that supports fuel consumption, emissions and OBD certification and compliance testing for the US market.
In this position, you will (1) conduct testing on soon-to-be released vehicles to support regulation conformity (2) lead and coordinate cross-functional CARB OBD certification and compliance testing activities (3) conduct CARB OBD production vehicle evaluation (PVE) on released vehicles to ensure regulation conformity (4) develop and enhance processes and mentor less experienced peers.
- Conduct testing in the areas of OBD, investigate and identify issues, determine root causes, and discuss within a team environment.
- Learn and analyze the emissions and OBD certification activities and identify additional areas where the team can effectively contribute value.
- Develop and enhance processes to ensure compliant OBD systems.
- Analyze data, summarize results, and prepare technical reports for internal development partners and external regulatory agencies.
- Plan and coordinate resources for testing (head count, vehicle, test cells, equipment).
- Generate detailed test plans and schedules with strong understanding of requirements and expected deliverables.
- Analyze software change requests and quantify the consequences in regards to the certification process.
- Build effective working relationship with Daimler HQ certification and RD departments.
- Support collaboration within MBRDNA on common projects and objectives.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical/Automotive Engineering or related field
- 5 years of experience
- Ability to act and perform under every circumstances with personal integrity and represent the certification values
- Comprehensive knowledge of powertrain systems, including emissions control system functions and regulatory requirements
- Comprehensive knowledge of OBD system functions and regulatory requirements
- Experience with testing and data acquisition systems in the automotive field (INCA)
- Experience investigating issues firsthand with strong analysis and problem solving abilities
- Experience in interacting with regulatory agencies (CARB, EPA)
- Experience with use and programming of automated testing and data analysis tools (ie. LabVIEW, Matlab, Simulink) and methods
- Experience with emissions test equipment (bench analyzers, PEMS, etc.)
- Detail-oriented mindset for planning and program management
- Ability to execute and develop detailed testing plans and schedules
- Ability to learn and understand different technical topics fast and being able to discuss and explain it to internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to clearly discuss and communicate complex technical topics in a diverse multicultural environment
- Desire to build effective working relationship
- Desire for continuous personal development and growth
- Frequent use of speech, vision, hearing, use of hands for computer use and presentations. Frequent sitting, standing and reaching with hands.
- Valid US Driver’s License
- German language skills a plus
- Experience in vehicle testing
- Powertrain development experience in the area of calibration with Bosch control units
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $109,100-$136,300.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS