Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
This role will require extensive collaboration, coordination, and cooperation with MBRDNA testing & development teams, regular customer/sponsor communication and alignment, managing and developing a strong and competent telematics project team responsible for system integration, testing operations, infrastructure, and benchmarking topics within the North American markets. Responsible for ensuring solid balance of cross team competency, specifically by ensuring on-time test vehicle preparation, test benches, system availability, and robust and solid test plan/strategy. Furthermore to manage its deployment and their successful on-time integration in the North American market ensuring high software maturity level. Expanding benchmarking activities to include Voice of the Customer (VoCA) projects and increasing collaboration with MBUSA market, product teams, and customer clinics to provide and deliver market specific feedback to RD/U regarding customer relevant expectations, requirements, and
specifications for improving our products. Aside from delivery responsibilities, this role will also work closely with the Senior Manager and department leaders to continuously develop and innovate the department’s project management methodology and enable engineers in their specific career/technical development.
- Enable the development of telematics features specific to the North American market through the definition of test scope, continuous refinement of testing and validation process, with fast-feedback to system developers.
- Review project plans, validating resource estimates, work effort, dependencies needed to achieve project goals, identifying risks and guiding mitigation plans, effectively engaging, communicating and collaborating with project management and stakeholders at all levels.
- Establish, maintain, and strengthen helpful and trustful working relationships with external (RD) customers in Germany by coordinating weekly, monthly, quarterly meetings and potential on-site visits.
- Supervisory responsibility for market specific testing, design and evolution of the following core applications: User Interface (UI), Speech Dialog System, Navigation, Entertainment, Communication, Connectivity and Safety.
- Ensures that systems are validated to meet their intended purpose based on requirements and technical specifications. Coordinate and manage testing activities during project development/test phases.
- Ensures each employee on team has a clear understanding of their tasks, executes in a timely manner, has regular and effective communication with their customers, outputs high quality reporting, and enables employee development and training.
- Works closely with Non-Technical groups (i.e. MBUSA) in order to identify customer needs, field quality concerns, and market driven needs. This information should be fed back to testing team and the future development of feature/product enhancement proposals.
- Track employee performance and develop a proposal for the personal development and bi-annual review of each team member which ensures the enhancement of personal/career goals development of team members (LEAD process) as well as following company policies, guidelines, and “best practices”.
- Organize and participate on test drives as well as related meetings. Report errors, supporting documentation and traces in Web Defect Manager.
- Promptly communicate technical and quality related issues obtained from the testing, validation and verification process.
- Ensure team is provided the adequate tools, training, and development that aligns with customer value and teams core deliverables.
- Make sure the team is measuring, reviewing, and improving performance metrics and reporting for key areas.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Computer Science Engineering consider; Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field of study
- 7 years of relevant experience
- Experience as a supervisor/people manager in the telematics field including exercise in wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments.
- Ability to work in a team as well as to organize/lead a team and strong technical knowledge of telematics systems, cloud services, and/or connected car applications.
- Ability to think logically and to analyze and solve complex problems.
- Excellent time management & communication skills both verbal and written including intercultural sensibility.
- Ability to organize workflow and direct tasks as well as document milestones and resolve problems. Ability to adapt quickly to changing demands.
- Ability to develop/plan projects from conceptualization to successful implementation including ability of analysis and problem assessment.
- Ability to integrate information from a variety of sources with varied levels of complexity.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written). German language (spoken and written) would be a plus.
- Necessity to travel internationally and domestically.
- Experience in agile collaboration models (e.g Scrum) and demonstrated ability to effectively setup and steer a team towards a common goal.
- Driving a vehicle is required for this position.
- Previous Automotive OEM or Tier1 supplier work experience
- Experience with embedded software and automotive solutions
- Experience leading/managing teams, developing strategies, execution of projects
- Internal applicants must be Potential Validation for Level 4 (PV44) confirmed
The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to, job-related education, skills, and experience, geographic location, and market conditions. The current salary range for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $155,600-$198,500.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS