Attentive® is the leader in conversational commerce, reinventing business to consumer communication. Our SMS-first software platform helps everyone from entrepreneurs to enterprises strengthen relationships with their consumers in a new way. Through two-way, real-time, personalized communications, we drive billions in e-commerce revenue and over 8,000 leading brands like CB2, Urban Outfitters, Crocs, Jack in the Box, and Coach rely on Attentive to deliver powerful commerce experiences.
Who we are
Our engineering department consists of 200+ people across multiple teams, such as application development, infrastructure, data platform, machine learning, and security. We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation. To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data-driven decision-making.
We are seeking a self-driven and highly motivated Machine Learning Engineer to join our growing machine learning teams. As an early hire, you will contribute to the development of machine learning models and infrastructure needs across the Attentive platform and work with Product Management and Engineering to implement end-to-end modeling use cases.
Why Attentive needs you:
- You have a proven track record of building systems that maintain a high bar of quality
- You deeply loathe regressions and take proactive steps to protect against them through a variety of testing techniques
- You are a collaborator and a great communicator
- You are constantly improving the quality of the project you are working on, both via direct contributions as well as long-term advocacy for larger-scale changes
- You are enthusiastic about the high impact, fast-paced work environment of an late-stage startup
- You have worked professionally building systems for 3+ years with experience on a single system long enough to see the consequences of your decisions
- Experience with TensorFlow/Pytorch, pandas, matplotlib, SQL, Spark or similar tools
- You have proficiency or experience with Python
- You have extensive experience using machine learning and data analysis, or similar, to build scalable systems and data-driven products, working with cross-functional teams
- 8,000 brands powered by Attentive sent over 1.6 billion text messages over Cyber Week 2022 (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) representing a growth of 41% from 2021
- We sent 24 billion SMS messages in 2022. That’s an average of 50 million per day
- Our production cluster contains over 9,000 containers which serve 170+ services
- Our streaming services process over 28 billion events per month
What we use
- Our infrastructure runs primarily in Kubernetes hosted in AWS’s EKS
- Infrastructure tooling includes Istio, Datadog, Terraform, CloudFlare, and Helm
- Our backend is Java / Spring Boot microservices, built with Gradle, coupled with things like DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, Postgres, Planetscale, and Redis, hosted via AWS.
- Our frontend is built with React and TypeScript, and uses best practices like GraphQL, Storybook, Radix UI, Vite, esbuild, and Playwright
- Our automation is driven by custom and open source machine learning models, lots of data and built with Python, Metaflow, HuggingFace 🤗, PyTorch, TensorFlow, and Pandas.
For US based applicants:
- The standard base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $225,000 annually.
- This position is eligible for equity in the form of RSUs.
Attentive Company Values
Default to Action - Speed is our best offense and defense
Never Settle - Continuously raise the bar for yourself and your teammates
Hard Work Solves Big Problems - Success requires grit and resilience
Be Attentive - Work together as a team to drive greatness for our company and our customers
Learn more about AWAKE
, Attentive’s collective of employee resource groups.
If you do not meet all the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply! No job description is perfect, and we may also have another opportunity that closely matches your skills and experience.
At Attentive, we know that our Company's strength lies in the diversity of our employees. Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees, applicants and covered individuals regardless of protected characteristics. We prioritize and maintain a fair, inclusive and equitable workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.