Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Farmington Hills, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Process scheduling as well as inter process communication are essential parts of an autonomous driving system. As leader in autonomous driving systems, Mercedes-Benz is on the forefront in the area. In the middleware team, the role will support and drive algorithmic and software development of offline tools to leverage our platform for level L2-L4 autonomous vehicles. Depending on the candidate’s strengths the internship can focus on different topics: front-end (software system parsing), back-end (web UI) or contributing to the static scheduling algorithms in distributed systems.
This is an on-site internship from our Sunnyvale, CA campus.
- Developing high-quality source code (C++) by applying best-practice software engineering methods, including code reviews, design guidelines, refactoring, unit and regression testing
- Testing and integration of the product offline
- Collaborating with our stakeholders and development partners
- Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software with a measurable customer value
- Potentially writing patents and scientific papers and engaging with the scientific community
- Present and demonstrate research topics to Daimler internal groups
- Persuing a degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Physics or related fields
- Advanced coding skills in C++ (at least starting at C++11)
- Advanced knowledge in general software engineering (git, Linux, build systems, design patterns, automated testing, debugging)
- Experience with C++ in real-time systems (memory management, deterministic algorithm design)
- Experience scripting languages (e. g. Python, shell script)
- Solid mathematical understanding
- Experience with agile software development methods
- Good communication skills, ability to formulate thoughts and ideas precisely in verbal and written form
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with changing boundary conditions
- Experience with React.js or Rust would be a plus
- Experience with graph theory
- Experience with static scheduling
- Experience with real-time programming of embedded platforms and their operating systems
- Curious, self-motivated, and excited about solving open-ended challenges at Mercedes-Benz
The current hourly rate for this position is as follows and may be modified in the future: $28 (Undergraduate Students)/$32 (Graduate Students)
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Benefits for Full-Time* Employees Include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• 401(k) with employer match
• Up to 18 company-paid holidays
• Paid time off (unlimited for salaried employees), sick time, and parental leave
• Tuition assistance program
• Wellness/Fitness reimbursement programs
• Vehicle lease subsidy or company car (for eligible employees only)
* Internships excluded from Full-Time Employee benefits
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce. MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc.
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS