About the Team
The AI Scientist team at OpenAI is at the forefront of creating cutting-edge tools for scientists, engineers, analysts, and programmers utilizing our advanced programming and conversational models. Our mission is to equip knowledge workers with AI solutions to tackle complex issues they encounter daily. We have a successful track record of deploying programming models, such as Codex, used in Github Copilot, and conversational models like ChatGPT.
About the Role
We are seeking a seasoned engineering leader to spearhead the Scientist Deployment team. In this position, you will oversee a team of scientists and engineers dedicated to delivering top-tier AI models to production, thereby enhancing user experience.Your role will involve close collaboration and consistent communication with various teams focused on the fundamental infrastructure of ChatGPT and other research teams whose work is being prepared for deployment.At OpenAI, we value a lean, efficient, and high-performing team over a large one. Hence, your impact will be gauged not by the size of your team but by the quality of your team's output.
In this role, you will be:
• Promptly deploying, learning from deployments, and continually iterating
• Mentoring and fostering growth in scientists and engineers to magnify their impact
• Enhancing the productivity of scientists, engineers, and programmers globally with the next generation of AI-powered tools
• Cultivating a diverse and inclusive culture that encourages open dialogue and challenges groupthink
• Ensuring projects are on track, your team is effectively utilized, and product milestones are achieved on time
You might excel in this role if you:
• Possess at least 5 years of experience as an individual contributor and an additional 2-3 years of experience in a management role
• Are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and have a history of building inclusive teams
• Have an intrinsic desire to learn and fill in missing skills, coupled with an aptitude for sharing knowledge succinctly with others
• Possess technical knowledge that enables effective communication with scientists and engineers across the organization
• Are willing to delve into the codebase when necessary
• Thrive in ambiguous and rapidly changing environments, viewing changes as opportunities to implement structure and order when needed
• Possess excellent communication, planning, and organizational skills
• Have a track record of shipping ML-based products
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $300,000 – $450,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.